- Did you know? – India has 15 judges for every Million people, one of the worlds lowest ratios.
- Did you know? – If a bank cheque is dishonored a statutory demand notice has to be sent to the defaulter within 30 days of such default.
- Did you know? – The 1st women Judge of Supreme Court of India and also Asia was Fathima Beeviin 1989. She was also the 1st Muslim women to be appointed to any higher judiciary.
- DID YOU KNOW? – The Supreme Court in its landmark judgment in Paramanand Katara v Union of India ruled that every doctor whether at a Government hospital or otherwise has the professional obligation to extend his services with due expertise for protecting life. No legal bar on doctors from attending to the injured persons is there. No law or state action can intervene to avoid delay, the discharge of the paramount obligation cast upon members of the medical profession.
- Did you know? – According to article 126, the President of India appoints any other judge of Supreme Court as an acting Chief Justice when Chief Justice of India is absent.
- Did you know? – Till 1983, Judges of Supreme Court were appointed by the President.
- Did you know? – According to a directive of the Supreme Court issued in 1997, every accused in police custody will be subjected to a medical examination if he remains in custody for more than 48 hours.
- Did you know? – That Article 22 of the Constitution of India in its Clauses I and II guarantee four rights to those who are arrested.
(1) The right to be informed of the grounds of arrest.
(2) The right to consult and be defended by a lawyer of his choice.
(3)The right to be produced before a magistrate within 24 hours.
(4) The freedom from illegal detention. No accused can be detained beyond 24 hours except by the order of the magistrate.
- Did you know? – The Constitution of India is the longest written constitution of any sovereign country in the world.
- Did you know? – That a woman has the right to be questioned at her residence in the presence of male relatives and she can be brought to the police station only after she is formally arrested. She has the right to be searched only by a woman police officer. Arrest of a woman should be avoided after the sunset.
- Did you know? – More than 1200 redundant Acts were repealed in 2017.
- Did you know? – Everything Hitler did in Germany was legal- Martin Luther King Jr.
- Did you know? – That within a year of the Constitution Of India coming into force, Parliament passed the First Amendment, placing ‘reasonable restrictions’ on free speech.
- DID YOU KNOW? – The Chief justice of India and the other Judges of the SC hold office until they attain the age of 65 years. (High Court Judges at 62 years).
Did you know?